Sunday, September 09, 2007

9/9 Triathlon Report

Here we go again! I drove down to Federal Way on Saturday for the triathlon expo to get my number, start time, etc. It was my first time at the actual course. I drove the bike course, which was described as "rolling". Even in my car I noticed it was more "hilly" than "rolling". This should be interesting! Especially considering in the three weeks since my last triathlon I rode my bike twice, swam once, did one brick and a few treadmill sessions!

I woke up early Sunday morning and headed back to Federal Way. I often suffer from what I now call "Second Guess Thursday" (courtesy of Hoops & Yoyo from Hallmark). Getting into my car I wasn't sure if I had remembered my timing chip & race number (I had). Pulling out of my driveway I wasn't sure I had put my bike helmet in the car (I pulled over to check and it was there). Walking my bike to the race area I wasn't sure if I had locked my car door (I walked back and re-locked my car). Oh brother!

I set up my transition area and walked down to the beach area. Stepping in to the water to check the temperature I was happy to find the water on the warm side! I watched the waves before me until my wave was finally called I huddled with my fellow pink swim caps before we made our way to the start line. We started in the water, which meant we had to jump in. I haven't jumped in the water in a long time! Unlike the little girls in front of me who jumped in, I sat down before gingerly sliding in. After treading water for 45 seconds we were off! The sun was really bright and it was hard to see at times. First I complain about the rain and now I'm complaining about the sun? :) I made it out of the swim and made my way back to my transition area.

I was trying not to compare this triathlon to my last but the one thing I really did miss was a transition area on grass. The transition area was in a parking lot so a little hard to walk on with bare feet! Walking my bike to the start area my sunglasses broke. You've got to be kidding me! I hopped on my bike and started off. Right at the beginning of the bike course was a massive hill. As I started down it my first thought was "Wheee!! This is a fun hill" immediately followed by "Oh crap!! I am going to have to ride back up this hill!" Most of the hills were downhill on the way out, which meant mainly uphill on the way back. I would have preferred it the other way - mainly uphill on the way out and downhill on the way in! I powered through until that last hill. Shifting down to my lowest gear I was almost at the top two things happened. One, the girl in front of my stopped and two, I was passed on the left leaving me little to no room. I fought to hold on but finally gave up and got off my bike and walked up the rest of the way. I was a little down on myself for walking but the important thing was I made it up the hill.

The run course was also hilly! I tried to keep with my pattern of running 10 cones and walking 5. I reached the home stretch and ran the rest of the way. And there was the finish line!!

I was actually a little disappointed in my times - 1 hour 36 minutes. I had really wanted to finish between 1 hour and 20 minutes and 1 hour and 30 minutes. But again, I hadn't kept up with my training. More importantly- I finished!! Despite my complaining I had a good time and I am glad I did it! The feeling of crossing the finish line is exhilarating!

Thanks to everyone who supported me in this process!!

No comments: