Sunday, May 01, 2011

Top Pot 5K Doughnut Dash

Saturday morning I was lying down in hot yoga before class, already praying for people to come in the door closest to me because I already needed the breeze, when I remembered there was a 5K Sunday morning.  To enter, or not to enter?  Enter of course!

Sunday morning I woke up bright and early to go run a 5K!  I hadn't pre-registered so I made sure to get there plenty early.  I got to the front of the line and to my surprise, they didn't take credit cards.  Really?  In this day and age?  Everyone takes credit cards!  Granted, I haven't done too many day of registrations, but the few I have done have taken credit cards.  Shame on me for not checking.  But still.  Okay, rant over. So back to my car I go to get my debit card and off in search of an ATM machine.  I thought for sure there was a Bank of America in the neighborhood, but I couldn't easily find one, but I found another one and paid the fee.

Back to the registration table with my money.  All registered, I happily discovered they had a gear check so I wasn't going to have to take another trek back to my car.  Whew!  I switched shirts and checked my gear.  I still had some time so I stretched out and mentally prepared.  For a second there I was wondering what the heck I was doing...

And finally we were off!  It was kind of a mad start, with a lot of dodging and running around people, but finally it started to thin out and I found a spot for myself.  I started off running 1 song, walking 1 song, but was feeling strong so then ran 2 songs and walked 1.  My knee held up, for the most part.  But then my right calf started bothering me.  Not too badly thank goodness!

Before you knew it, there was the finish line!!  The clock was at 43 something so I knew I was going to beat 45 minutes.  Especially since it took me awhile to get to the start line.

I finished, got my water, my banana, and most importantly my Top Pot Doughnut!  Because why else would I run a Top Pot 5K, it not for the doughnut?? :)

My time was probably helped by the fact it was a mostly flat course.  According to the website my official time was 41:49!  I've still got some work to do, but I'm definitely on my way back!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad your knee held up and that your time was better than you expected - woohoo! Keep up the good work!
mm

Fruit Fly said...

Congratulations! I'd say that was a mighty fine time - especially considering that crazy moment of your throwing yourself down an Italian hillside.