Friday, January 18, 2008

Persuasion

I just finished watching the newest version of Persuasion for the second time. PBS is doing a Jane Austen series and I happened across it and I am now looking forward to the rest of the series after seeing how well Persuasion was done.

Persuasion is probably my favorite story by Jane Austen. Something about the unrequited love and being reunited after so many years struck a chord in me the first time I read it. Even when I read my "mushy" romance novels the ones I enjoy most are those where the main characters are reunited after years of separation and overcome whatever it was that drove them apart all those years ago.

I really enjoyed the movie version of Persuasion that came out several years ago and wasn't sure if I would like the this new version. But I was quickly "persuaded" this new version was very likable! It didn't focus as much on the subplots, instead concentrated on the main story between Anne & Frederick, including the subplots only when necessary to move the main story forward.

If I could have lived in any time, I would have loved to live in the Jane Austen time period. Probably because I have seen the romanticized versions in books, movies, TV and of course I have romanticized it in my imagination. I love the dresses, the manners, the balls and Mr. Darcy. Well, any of Jane Austen's heros really, but Mr. Darcy in particular! Okay, so given my family history (mainly peasants, farmers, etc.) if I had lived in that time period I would not be wearing the nice dresses and going to balls and meeting eligible gentleman such as Mr. Darcy and Captain Wentworth. No, I would have either been in the country on a farm, or if I made it to city, I would have been a maid or something along those lines. But that is what my imagination is for - to imagine myself in the dress, at the ball, meeting Lord Sebastian Woodhurst! As I read that back I realize it sounds a little Clue-ish: Colonel Mustard, in the library, with the pipe. And for those wondering, Lord Sebastian Woodhurst is a figment of my imagination. Or maybe he'll become the hero in the book I'm eventually going to write.

I do realize that as much as I would have wanted to live in the late 1700's, early 1800's, I would have wanted to live with lots of modern conveniences - what would I do without my cell phone or my computer or my car? Not to mention hot water heaters, running water, hair dryers or microwaves!! So it is probably best I live now and read about the Regency time period.

No comments: