Friday, March 28, 2008

Me & my blog

I saw this meme on Mandi's blog and thought it was interesting.

why did you start a blog?

I like to travel and the past several years I have been traveling a lot! After each trip I'd often send out several emails to different people telling them about my trip. Then I started writing up a narrative of my trip and emailing that out. Blogs had started to intrigue me and it seemed like a natural platform for my trip reports. It has continued to evolve from just travel narratives to more of what is going on in my life.

how did you come up with your blog name?

As my original intention was for this to be for my travel narratives, I wanted travel or journey or adventure (something that reflected travel) and lo and behold I settled on travel with emily.

do your friends and family know about your blog?

Yes. I have friends and family all over the country and this is an easy way for people to see what I'm up to as I am not always the best correspondent and I am not the biggest fan of the phone. I don't know what it is about the phone, but I would prefer to either email/text or talk to someone face to face. I am not a good phone person.

how do you write your posts?

I come up with all sorts of ideas for what I will write when I'm running or driving or traveling but then when I actually get to my computer (or to a pad & paper) to write it down, it never seems to come out the same. And then of course at some later point I do remember what it was I had wanted to say, in the way I had wanted to say it. Sometimes I go back and edit, but usually I let it go because it is never as clever or witty as I had first thought.

have you ever had a troll or had to delete unkind comments?

Just once have I had to delete comments from a troll.

do you check your stats? do you care how many people read your blog? if you do care, how do you increase traffic?

It hasn't really crossed my mind to check. It could be interesting though.

what kind of blogs/posts interest you?

I like glimpses into other people's lives. I like artistic posts. I love looking at other people's pictures, both of places I have been and places I haven't been. I am a very visual person.

what do you like and dislike about blogging?

I have always liked to write and this gives me a forum to write. It also can let me be creative, or at least try. Plus it is basically a record of my life.

The part I don't always like is the time involved. It can be a time-sucker!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

for an armchair traveler like me it is great fun to read about the adventures of real-life traveler like yourself - thanks for sharing!
mm