Sunday, December 20, 2009

Two Turtle Doves / Two Miles Run

It's Christmas time, which also means it is time for the 12Ks of Christmas run! I really enjoy this race, it is very festive with all sorts of costumes, both on people and dogs. One of these years I should run with a Santa hat.

I woke up to rain, but at least it wasn't snow! Fortunately the rain tapered off. It was getting close to the time to start and I was still in line for the bathroom, which is so unlike me. I'm usually in line waiting and waiting. I don't leave things to the last minute. Not to worry I thought - this race never starts on time! Except of course today. But I managed to get through the bathroom and to the start chute before the race actually started. I started back in the 12+ minute section, because that is my pace. However not everyone lines up according to their pace. And I had to run over a few people. Not run over literally, but dodge slower runners until the crowd thinned out. But I felt like running over them literally! Especially when it was a group of 5 that was spread out across the road.

My goal this time was to see if I could once again run 2 miles before my first walk break. I began to doubt as I ran up the first hill. But I kept putting one foot in front of the other and soon I was passing by the 1K sign, then the 2K sign, and the 3K sign and finally the 2 mile sign! Nice! And just in time to walk up the giant hill. From there on out it was run 5 songs, walk 1 song. That's right, I have improved to running 5 songs!

I have always known there are people who walk faster than I can run. And today I had it demonstrated to me. I was plodding along when a woman power walked right on by me. While I never caught up to her, I did keep her in my sights for the remainder of the race.

In some ways the race passed by quickly, in others not so much. But I kept passing by the K signs and then I was crossing the finish line! My goal was to finish in under 1 hour 45 minutes. Mission accomplished! I finished in 1 hour 42 minutes and 28 seconds!

They had a booth giving free 5 minute massages so I hopped up on the table and had a brief massage. Hm, I'm thinking Christmas present to myself might be a massage.

No comments: