Sunday, December 16, 2007

On the first K of Christmas

I love the 12Ks of Christmas race! People dress up, ranging from Santa hats to full out costumes, including an angel on top of a Christmas tree. I arrive on the early side and pick up my shirt and timing chip and then get in line to use the real bathroom before line gets horrendously long. I stretch and people-watch until the announcer tells everyone to line up by their pace. I go back to the 12+ minute mile. I know I'm not the fastest person and I have no desire to get run over, and I don't think people want to have to run me over to get around me. And it's a chip-timed event so my time won't start until I cross the start-line. After a slight delay we were off! I did okay alternating between running and walking, run one song, walk for another. Although I do admit I probably walked a little more on the uphills even if it was time to switch to a run. As I was nearing the finish line, the 1K Kids Dash was also heading to the finish line. It's pretty sad when a 3 year old is running faster than you are!! Although he might have been 4. I always have 2 goals, the first being to finish, and the second is not to finish last. I didn't finish last, but was one of the last finishers. The only problem being one of the last finishers is sometimes that means there are no more goodies. There were no more bottles of water left, but Starbucks was there and I did have myself a mini Peppermint Mocha. By the time I got home the times had been posted. Isn't technology wonderful? I guess my third goal is usually a time goal and this time my goal was to finish in under 2 hours. I finished in 1 hour, 44 minutes and 51 seconds. I'll take that!

No comments: