Thursday, March 31, 2011

Welcome to Absolute Happiness

So I thought I would have my Hawaii trip written up before Disneyland, but I was wrong. Enjoy Disneyland for now, and I’ll be back shortly with Hawaii adventures.

I’m lucky to have not one, but two BFF’s who also are Disney freaks! Which means plenty of excuses to visit Disney parks! :)  See how nice that works?  It had been awhile since I had gotten to spend time with Jana so of course we booked a trip to Disneyland!  We had debated - World or Land?  Land or World?  We had both wanted World, but Land just worked out better for both of us.  And Disneyland is right in the middle between Seattle and Houston, right?

By the time my flight landed, I collected my luggage, and taken the Super Shuttle to my hotel it was almost 10 p.m. but Disneyland was open until midnight! Jana’s flight had been delayed and she was still en route, so I decided to talk over to Disneyland, if only to stretch my legs a little. The hotel we usually stay at isn’t anything to write home about, except for the fact that it is literally directly across the street from Disneyland. Talk about location! I wandered over to the park and walked around before calling it a night. Jana was at the hotel by the time I got back and it was time for bed.

Friday morning we woke up and headed to our favorite breakfast place, La Brea Bakery. So many choices - what to have for breakfast? I finally settled on the pancakes with strawberries and bananas. Yum! Such deliciousness! We had decided to spend the day at California Adventures. First up was to fastpass World of Color for that evening. And then fastpass Soarin’ before heading over to Paradise Pier to scope out the Toy Story line. It was not pretty. I have to confess I have become a line snob. Yes, I am a line snob. I do not wait in lines over 30 minutes (well for the most part – every once in awhile I will do 45 minutes). So it was off to Mickey’s Fun Wheel, Jumpin’ Jellyfish, Ladybug Boogie, Flik’s Flyers, Monster’s Inc. and Soarin’. And somewhere in there we had lunch at the Wine Country Trattoria, which wasn’t bad. It wasn’t great, but it wasn’t bad. We wandered around a bit more before it was time for Aladdin!!! I, for one, am so glad they have postponed closing the Aladdin show. It is so good!! It even had a couple new pop culture references in it. By then it was time to head back to the hotel to grab a sweatshirt as it was starting to get chilly. This is one of the things I enjoy about Disneyland – you can easily walk back to your hotel to pick up a sweatshirt or to take a break and then head back to the park. Dinner was chicken nuggets and then it was time to line up for World of Color!! I love, love, love this show. Lasers, fountains, and clips from Disney movies & music. What isn’t to like about it? It ranks up there with Fantasmic, which is probably my all-time favorite show. I don’t know if it was more windy or what, but we got soaked watching the show!! There was still time after the show so we headed over to Disneyland for Pirates, Small World, Buzz Lightyear, Pinocchio and Mr. Toad. We had read somewhere that on average, people usually do around 9 attractions in a day. We blew that out of the water!!

Saturday morning we woke up and headed to our favorite breakfast place, La Brea Bakery (sound familiar?). I ended up with the croissant sandwich, which came with potatoes! Delicious once again. Have I mentioned that with breakfast I had water, a cappuccino, and an apple juice? I do like my liquids. And just like that it was time to get our magic on! We started off in our favorite land of Fantasy, but it was fairly crowded. After Snow White, we set out for parts unknown including the Jungle Cruise, the Tiki Room, Indiana Jones, Haunted Mansion, Winnie the Pooh, Roger Rabbit, Buzz Lightyear, Storybook Canal, Casey Jr., Alice, Matterhorn, Pirates and Indiana Jones one last time. In between all of that we had corn dogs for lunch and had chicken nuggets for dinner while watching Fantasmic. Oh, and we got to visit Peter as well! We thought we were being smart by waiting for Peter after the fireworks, but we were not the only ones with that idea. And in fact, we probably waited over 45 minutes for Peter when all was said and done as the ride broke. So much for being a line snob. I wish the park had been open one more hour – we still had lots of magic left!!

You’ll notice that I didn’t mention going back to the hotel for a sweatshirt. And that is because, while we could have gone back to the hotel to get our sweatshirts, we decided instead to buy new ones. Did you know they sell clothes at Disney? Ha! And we got matchy-matchy sweatshirts (mine was blue, Jana’s was grey).

Funny at Haunted Mansion:

Me & Jana (in unison with the host): I am your host. Your ghost host.
Girl: Do you guys come here a lot? Is that how you know the words?
Me: (Laughing) Define a lot.

Sunday morning we woke up and headed to where? If you guessed La Brea, you would be right.  We can be creatures of habit, can't we? :)  I wanted pancakes, but I wanted eggs, bacon and potatoes. And then I spotted the French Toast special which came with eggs, bacon and potatoes. French Toast is close to pancakes. Sold! After breakfast we ventured over to World of Disney to get our shop on. We finished up with shopping and we still had time before we had to leave! What to do? We decided to fast pass Roger Rabbit and then walked over to Winnie the Pooh. Which was closed. Boo. Well Haunted Mansion is close by, we’ll just do that. Nope, it was closed too. Double boo. Okay, we’ve still got time before Roger Rabbit, what about Buzz Lightyear? It was open! And only a 20 minute line. Jana proceeded to annihilate me. I need to work on that game! Ha! Since it was time for our fast pass so we headed over to Roger Rabbit. And guess what? Yup, closed. I think Disneyland was sad we were leaving and was pouting. Jana didn’t have much time left so we boarded the Disneyland train for Main Street and said our goodbyes. I figured I might go and see Tinkerbell but her line was long as was the Tangled line so I rode the carousel, took a few pictures and had one last Mickey ice cream before it was time for me to leave.

See ya real soon!!

Minnie & Me

On our way to Paradise Pier

Jumpin' Jellyfish

World of Color

Yummy breakfast at La Brea

Ready to get our magic on!

Yum!  Mickey Ice Cream

Matchy-matchy sweatshirts

Lots of liquid

Last Morning

Carousel

3 comments:

Fruit Fly said...

Fun!!

I may have to pick your brain a lot before I head down for the Disneyland Half. DCA is all new to me, so I may have questions!!

I'm a total line snob -- but I cut it at 20 minutes and will consider 30!

Sara @ Running In Pink Project said...

I have never been to DisneyLAND just world. :) I really want to go though because I am an Alice in Wonderland freak and want to see the Alice stuff there. :)

Emily said...

@RR - Bring on the questions! :) I was a little worried DCA wasn't "Disney" enough at first, but I love it now - it isn't my favorite park, but I do enjoy it.

@Sara - I thought of you with the Alice ride! It's right next door to the Teacups and the Mad Hatter store. It is a fun, cute ride. You definitely need to go!