Tuesday, April 19, 2011

No Answers, Just Questions

It is ingenious to pair Disney with running. I get to run at the happiest place on earth! The whole reason I did the Princess Half was 1) because it said Princess and 2) because it was at Disney World!! And apparently I’ll take any excuse to go to Disney! I’ve now done 5 events at Disney World (2 put on by Disney, 3 on Disney property). One day I’d like to branch out and do another half (not at Disney) but for now, I’ll stick with Disney running for long distances. I was super excited when I heard they were planning a new race and watched all the clues hinting at the new race (but not really solving any). And then the announcement – a Tinker Bell Half at Disneyland!! Oh, but in January. (Excitement wanes a little.) Right before the Princess Half. (Excitement drops a little more.) But I really want to do the Princess again!! But the Tinker Bell Half sounds like so much fun!! And Tinker Bell means Peter Pan which means London.  And I love London! Plus it is in Disneyland! And how fun would it be to run the inaugural Tinker Bell Half? I still remember being at Disney World for a triathlon and hearing them announce the inaugural Princess Half – I knew then that I wanted to do it, even if it would take me another year or so before I worked up enough courage. Then there is the thought – I could do both. Could I? Really? Then I would (hopefully!) get a Coast to Coast medal. But a month apart? With the first one at the end of January? January is a bad month for me work-wise. Oh yeah, work. I still have no idea what I’ll be doing (or for how long). Is it smart to sign up for two races so close together? Is it physically smart? And is it fiscally smart? And let’s throw in mentally while we are at it! But then I’d be done. I’d basically have one long training build-up and then maintain for another couple of weeks. This actually might be the best way for me to do it. Hmm… That would translate into starting training in October-ish, which works out with triathlon season being over.  Not that I’m doing too many triathlons this year (in fact I think I’m only doing 1), but still it would be nice to finish up my triathlon and then solely focus on running. What to do? What to do?


Thanks for bearing with me as I sort through all the confusion in my head. I will probably continue to hem and haw and see-saw back and forth for awhile before making up my mind. I am not a good decision maker. Scratch that. I have difficulty making decisions. Anyone else thinking of doing one or the other? Princess or Tinkerbell? Neither? Both?

2 comments:

Fruit Fly said...

Naturally I have my own opinions on this matter! We even discussed it no my facebook status all day yesterday.

1st. All that hype and build up, and then I think I was kind of underwhelmed with the announcement. I mean if I step back and look, it IS cool. But I expected more since they had all of those insane clues. It was like having a fizzle at the end of a fireworks display instead of a huge booming finale.

2nd. I would LOVE an inaugural medal. And Tinker Bell is my cat's name, so naturally I'd love a Tink shaped medal. OMG - what if it isn't even shaped like her??

3rd. Why is it in January? January has the WDW Marathon already. Then the Princess in February. Why wedge this in there? If it wasn't at such a bad time I'd really consider it. But as it is I do DL 1/2 in September, Vegas in December, WDW 1/2 in January ... I can't get back to Disneyland in January for another race that will cost a lot. I man after this I'd have no $$ and probably no job!

So, as tempting as a Tink medal and saying I was a the first is, I sadly have to pass. Instead I get a 15th anniversary Donald medal, so at least that's something! Oh, and I get my Coast to Coast this year, so that part isn't a motivator for me as it would be for you.

Good luck with your decision making! I feel like you have a tough one here. I don't envy you at all. I mean I know that Disney addiction - and when you pair it with a racing addiction it just gets tricky!

Sherry said...

I like the idea of a Coast to Coast medal sweep and I think you should go for it! I don't see any problem with doing maintenance training between the two races. You can totally do this! :-)