Sunday, April 03, 2011

Week in Review

Well it's been two weeks since I heard the bombshell news (my company is being sold - dun dun dun!!) and I'm feeling much more calm about it.  Life is definitely going to be interesting and uncertain for the next year or so.  I might be freaking out a little more except my previous company spectacularly collapsed.  Compared to that, being sold isn't so bad!

So what else has been going on with me?  I ran on the treadmill!!  Not for very long.  It reminds me of when I first started running - it was run 1 song, walk 1 song.  Basically I'm back to that, except I'm mainly walking and only running one song until I feel more solid on my knee.

I also made it back to the pool.  For the most part my knee did well, especially if I kept it straight.

Friday night Jessica, Nilufer & I went to see Billy Elliot.  I love that show!  And the little kid who played Billy was amazing!  It made me wish I still took ballet.  Not that I was ever a good ballet dancer - I took it for a little while when I was a kid and then I took a quarter or two in college.  Ballet is so graceful yet powerful.  If only I was that graceful...

On Saturday I went to hot yoga.  With the treadmill and swimming successes this week, I thought maybe  I would be able to do a few more postures.  I tried out Dancer's and while I am much further along than before, there are several postures I still cannot do, Dancer's being one of them.

Sunday morning I told myself I could sleep in since I was meeting my sister & BIL for brunch, but if I woke up in time, I would go for a walk.  And guess what?  I woke up, with no alarm mind you, in time to go for a walk.  A walk on the trail by my house.  I don't normally use this trail as I like paved trails, but not having to drive to a trail was nice.  But what to wear?  Especially given our crazy weather lately - sun followed by hail followed by torrential rain.  I decided on a hat, but no gloves or a jacket.  I saw daffodils on the trail which has to mean spring is on the way!  I also saw a raccoon and a bunny.  Raccoons scare me!  Except Meeko.   Fortunately the bunny was going the opposite direction of the raccoon.   I got to a part in the trail that wasn't too muddy and started running.  Again only one song.   Part of the reason I chose this trail was because there was a Starbucks at the turn-around point.  But I was running short on time so turned around without stopping.  My fingers were sad though.  At the turn-around I was feeling fairly good but not long after turning around my fingers froze and were wishing for a steaming hot latte.  Instead I would have to wait for a nice hot shower.  I was still feeling okay so I ran for another song.  Slowly but surely I am working my way back.

What I'm struggling with is how do I decipher between a normal pain and an injury pain?  Can I push through the pain?  Or do I need to back off?  I'm trying to take this nice and slow but sometimes it is hard.  I feel like I should be farther along than I am.  Or maybe I'm babying my knee too much.  Or not enough.  Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Fruit Fly said...

Aside from cold fingers - that sounds like a great morning jaunt. I mean a rabbit AND raccoon! Fun!!