Sunday, May 09, 2010

Kirkland 5K

Well I wasn't sure how this race was going to go. Last week, I upped my miles a little too quickly (or at least that is my self diagnosis). My knee didn't hurt exactly, but wasn't feeling quite right, very tense, stiff and almost as if it was compacted. I decided to take the week off from everything but swimming, hoping that rest was what I needed. My chiropractor was on vacation, so I went to the vacation chiropractor. She helped loosen things up, but it wasn't the same. Towards the end of the week I realized that while my knee was bothering me, the problem might be my hip. Hmm. I decided to see if I could get in for a massage. Wow! What a massage! It was not a relaxing massage by any means, but she really worked my hip and my knee.

I decided to go ahead and do the 5K, with the thought that I would slow down to a walk at any time my knee started bothering me. I picked up my race shirt and chip the day before, and while I was there I picked up a foam roller! Check #15 off my 33 Things list.

I drove to the race site, nice and early, knowing parking could be a problem. And there was no parking to be had at the main lot, so I turned off and parked along the street about a half mile or so from the race start. I walked to the start, tried to keep warm by standing in the sun and stretched until it was time to line up.

And GO! What is fast becoming a pet peeve of mine is when people don't line up according too their pace. I know I'm not fast so I line up at my pace marker. I don't want to be run over, and I hope other people don't want to run me over. It is a chip start people, your time doesn't start until you cross the timing mat. I spent the first part of the race dodging people and checking in with my knee. While I was prepared to walk, I was hoping to run as much as possible. I was doing okay until the hill. I knew if and when I stopped running it would be that much harder to start again and as I long as I kept running I would be okay. I hung on as long as I could but about 3/4 of the way up I lost my momentum and slowed down to a walk. No problem, I can do this. I reached the crest of the hill and started running again. Somewhere between Mile 1 & Mile 2 I had a second shot as there was a shorter, steeper hill. This time I nailed it!! It was mainly downhill after that. And I'm happy to say I ran every remaining step (after the brief walk up the hill).

My time? I knew going into this I wouldn't PR, but I was pleasantly surprised with my time - 39:07. Not my best, but far from my worst! And even though I didn't run the whole thing, I am counting this as race #1 of 12 to satisfy #21 on the 33 Things list. Alrighty, we are making progress on the list!

The best part about running the shorter distance of the race? All the goodies were there at the end of the race! Usually by the time I arrive at the finish line, all the goodies are picked over and sometimes there is no water left. But not this time! The line at the massage booth was short so I hopped up on the table for my 5 minutes. Afterwards, the therapist asked about my hip - even in 5 minutes she could tell I was having issues. Yes, it is still tight, but not nearly as bad as it was at the beginning of the week.

I walked back to my car and made it to church. Then it was time to celebrate Mother's Day. Happy Mother's Day Mom!

And now it is time to take some ibuprofen, and chill with my ice packs!

1 comment:

Mandi said...