Saturday, June 19, 2010

Sarah's Key


Okay, so it has been a long time since I have done a "book report" so bear with me, and really it isn't that much of a book report at all.  The WWII era has been a fascination of mine for awhile, I think a lot of what draws me are the stories of resistance, ordinary people who helped their fellow man in spite of the consequences.  The cover of the book attracted me (hello Paris!) and then when I realized it was set in WWII, I was sold.  The story drew me in immediately - Sarah, a 10 year old Parisian Jew locked her brother in a closet as they were being rounded up, thinking she would be able to come back and save him.  Sarah's story was intertwined with the present day story of Julia, an American married to a Frenchman, living in Paris.  The pages kept turning and turning as I raced to find out what happened to Sarah's brother.  I was reading this book on a plane and at one point had tears streaming down my face.  Fortunately the person sitting next to me wasn't paying too much attention.  This was a very moving story, I really liked how it moved between the two time lines.

No comments: